Today’s businesses go a long way beyond producing goods or meeting customer requirements. Modern businesses are the cornerstones of economic development in the world. The growth of these businesses have a direct impact on the improvement of financial status of their respective geographical locations.
Hence, it become imperative for businesses to upgrade their operations and management as per the economic trends of the country. Employing strategic management is one way businesses can flourish and satisfy their internal and external stakeholders. Strategic management creates well defined plans for achieving the financial goals of the company while considering the effect of these goals on external stakeholders.
If you are curious to know how strategic management can revolutionise businesses, this blog can satisfy your curiosity. It explores what is meant by the term, different levels involved, its importance and the career opportunities available to you, if you wish to pursue a career in the domain.
What is strategic management?
Strategic management implies the development of the vision and objectives of an organisation. A good strategic management plan helps build a company’s long-term success and maintains the relevance of the company in a competitive environment. It also involves implementing well-researched strategies and introducing corrective measures to reach the company goals.
Strategic management has a two-fold purpose:
• To achieve a competitive advantage over peer companies
• To help the organisation survive challenges in the business environment
Different levels of strategic management
Strategic management is a multi-tier approach to handling different aspects of running an organisation. Here are the levels involved in making a strategic management plan.
1. Setting the goals: This is the first step of any strategic management plan. It involves developing the company vison, goals and business objectives.
2. Formulating strategies: This step involves considering and making different strategies, carrying strategic analysis to determine the pros and cons of these strategies.
3. Implementing the strategies: The next step after making strategies is their implementation. The step involves putting these strategies into practice and managing behavioural and functional implementation.
4. Strategy control and evaluation: This step involves evaluating the performance of these strategies and implementing corrective measures to undo any wrong decisions.
Importance of strategic management
There are several advantages of employing strategic management in a business.
• Strategic management guides the economic development of a company. It defines the organisation’s goals and fixes realistic objectives which complement the company’s vision.
• It helps the company become proactive in problem resolution and analyses the actions of the competitors in the market to drive better revenue generation.
• It acts as a basis for the important decisions of the company.
• It prepares the company for future challenges and explores opportunities for further growth and development.
• It ensures the long-term survival of the company and prepares the organisation for surviving the dynamic challenges of the business domain.
• It assists in the development of core competencies in the business.
Career opportunities in strategic management
A career in strategic management has a lot of scope as modern businesses need qualified people to make strategic decisions for them. Here are a few job opportunities that would be available for you if you wish to pursue a career in the domain.
• Financial analyst
• Business analyst
• Product strategist
• Project analyst
• Project management coordinator
• Process coordinator
• Marketing consultant
• Business development coordinator
• Compliance officer
• Consumer insight analyst
A career in strategic management provides you the ability to work on issues that affect your business and develop strategies for supporting the organisation. There are many universities that offer strategic management courses. While making a choice, look for courses that offer you a hands-on experience for developing business strategies. The right course would help you learn the tenets of strategic management and enhance your career prospects.